A highly challenging refurbishment, involving the demolition of the existing buildings right next to Notting Hill Gate underground station, and the creation of a 4-storey-plus-rooftop mixed-use residential, office and retail building.
The complexity of this redevelopment stems from its location in the heart of a bustling Notting Hill Gate, its proximity to the A4 and most significantly, that the buildings are located directly above the existing District line tunnel and immediately adjacent to the Notting Hill Gate Underground entrance.
This has meant that it has not been possible to build with a crane, and 400 tonnes of sand were loaded into the basement to counterbalance for the 400-tonne structure that was demolished.
This is therefore a project that requires all parties to work seamlessly together. Working with Principal Contractor Rainsford, BS Steels will have been involved at all stages, from demolition through to completion.
- During demolition, BS Steels installed temporary support structures to the facade, the building falling partly within a Conservation area.
- BS Steels fabricated and installed the steel frame for the new structure.
- We provided special stainless steel brick ties.
- Steel open mesh flooring has been installed on all levels.
- As the project proceeds, BS Steels will be involved in many elements of secondary steelwork, including juliet balconies.
The project is due for completion in June 2022.
During the final stages of demolition, newspapers dating back to 1952 were found!