For building refurbishment, steel is at the heart of many if not most projects. This is particularly so, where older-style layouts need opening up to meet the needs of modern usage. When buildings require extending – upwards, downwards or to the side – it is as likely or not to involve some form of steel framework.
Building refurbishment is a complex process. A safe, timely and cost-effective result requires a solutions-led approach and cooperation among all partners. In the event of an occasional unexpected challenge, experience and problem-solving ethos are essential.
BS Steels provides steel and services for building refurbishments across all sectors. Examples include:
- Major office block and ‘change-of-use’ refurbishments, including prestigious properties such as 30 Berkeley Square, London W1, St Paul’s House, London EC4, and the former Cabinet Office building at Tufton Street, London SW1. See our London Building Refurbishments report.
- Commercial buildings and premises, optimising floor plans and layout.
- We have considerable expertise in refurbishment of pubs, hotels and restaurants. These often require a mixture of careful survey, design and planning, and the flexibility to adapt, as old buildings reveal their hidden secrets! We also supply interior and architectural features, such as bar frontages, bespoke glass and bottle racks, footrests, shelving, railings in brass, stainless or mild steel. Many of these refurbishments are carried out within demanding schedules to minimise disruption to the business, or even alongside a still-operating business.
- Mixed residential and commercial premises.
- Listed and heritage buildings; buildings located in Conservation Areas.
- Building refurbishment requires careful preparation, and extensive drawings and calculations, for which our drawing office is frequently called in to assist.