Steel for the Hospitality Sector
BS Steels has an impressive record working as principal contractor and sub contractor for many leading hotel, restaurant and pub companies, as well as individual operators.
Each project presents its own challenges, but with the strength and versatility of steel, the expertise of our drawing office, workshop and installation teams, and close working relationships with contractors and clients, we are proud to have been part of some amazing transformations.
Structural and supporting steel
BS Steels has designed and supplied structural steel for varied new-build, extension and refurbishment projects in the hospitality sector. These include:
- structural steel for brand-new hotels and accommodation blocks.
- structural steel for dining areas, conservatories, a ballroom, a theatre and auditorium, and even a wedding chapel!
- supporting and strengthening steelwork to create open-plan interiors.
- total hotel refurbishment after catastrophic fire damage.
- access staircases, fire escapes and balcony structures.
Pub and Restaurant Refurbishments
A successful refurbishment requires a partnership approach, to deal with the unique challenges of each project. Many pubs and restaurants close for refurbishment only for a limited period, with a demanding schedule; some remain open during alterations.
However careful the initial survey and planning, interpretation of immediate site requirements is often required as buildings reveal their hidden secrets. BS Steels partners with pub, restaurant and hotel operators and their contractors to provide real-time solutions.
Interior fit-out and architectural steel
BS Steels also supplies interior and architectural features in brass, stainless or mild steel. Examples include bar frontages, staircases and ramps, bespoke glass and bottle racks, footrests, shelving, steelwork for glazing, lighting supports, railings.
One such project involved fitting out a servery, with the inside of the kitchen visible to diners. On the same project, we were asked to supply the enclosure for a pizza oven (pictured below). We are also being asked frequently for effects such as hammered or blackened steel or burnished copper, or to work in materials such as pewter and zinc, matching the pub or restaurant’s theme. We are always happy to rise to a challenge!
Case Study: Ham Yard Hotel
Ham Yard Hotel opened on June 1st 2014.
BS Steels was involved throughout the project, seeing it emerge from a hole in the ground on a three-quarter acre former World War 2 bomb site. In addition to 90 rooms and suites, apartments, bars and restaurants and retail area, it features a 176-seat state-of-the-art theatre and even an original 1950s bowling alley imported from Texas!
Located between Great Windmill Street and Denman Street, the site presented access challenges, particularly for the larger items supplied by BS Steels such as the 20 metre long, 5-tonne structural trusses for the basement theatre.
The highly varied list of products and solutions coordinated, created and installed by BS Steels included:
- steelwork throughout the theatre, including support for the auditorium.
- structural steelwork to concrete cores
- mezzanine floor zones within the structural concrete structure
- steelwork for glazing around the courtyard
- plant support structures
- access staircases, fire escapes, balcony structures, lighting supports
- steelwork for car stacker system
- 16-metre steel railing: from site survey to completion within 4 weeks, including design, manufacture, shotblasting, hot metal zinc spraying, powder coating, diamond drilling and installation
Please visit our project reports on the new Ham Yard Hotel, Soho, the rebuilding of the Ryde Castle Hotel after catastrophic fire damage, and the development of the Old Thorns Manor Hotel. These list the steel products and services supplied to these prestigious hotel projects.
To discuss your needs, please call Roger Slade on 07802 265438, or E-mail